Workshops / Seminars
Project Purpose & Description
This project is circumscribed within phase II of the initiative from the Bio-nano Convergence Network, aimed at performing an assessment of the presence and concentration of heavy metal and metalloids into water bodies, specifically mercury, lead, cadmium and arsenic in FEALAC countries. The purpose is to assess, through pilot studies, the impact of these contaminants on living beings and the environment, and to strengthen technology transfer to exposed communities, and to assume the measurement tasks, monitoring, mitigation and remediation from the opportunities and capabilities offered by bio and nanotechnology.
The initiative requires a feedback stage based on the experiences of countries that have carried out this kind of activities. This will allow strengthening the methodology and cooperation actions as well as identifying the existing potentialities to achieve, through the opportunities offered from bio and nanotechnology, the goal of systematic mapping and monitoring of heavy metals in water.
The FEALAC-Cbionano International Meeting “Challenges and possibilities from bio and nanotechnology to facing the problem of water contamination by heavy metals”, took place in Bogotá, on Dec 2, 2016. During this meeting the international cooperation project: “Mapping and assessment of water contamination by mercury, lead, cadmium and arsenic in FEALAC countries” was presented, and the book: “Bio-Nanotechnology for sustainable environmental remediation and energy generation” was launched. This book contains contributions by experts from FEALAC countries on energy and environment opportunities offered by bio and nanotechnology.
Activity Description & Outcome
• To socialize the project of international cooperation: “Mapping and assessment of water contamination by mercury, lead, cadmium and arsenic in FEALAC countries”.
• To promote international cooperation to address the problem of water quality loss through contamination by heavy metals and metalloids.
• To evaluate the use of new methodologies and technological alternatives offered by bio and nanotechnology to streamline and make sustainable monitoring actions and measurement In situ in contaminated water bodies. This diagnosis is required for the implementation of mitigation and remediation tasks, evaluating risks conditions to human health and the environment
• Based on experiences and case studies presented by the experts, it was possible to identify strategies to optimize and make feasible the implementation of methodological actions from bio and nanotechnology for systematic mapping and monitoring of heavy metals and metalloids in water.
• Participants at the meeting expressed a high level of satisfaction with the quality and relevance of presentations and other activities carried out.
• Agreements and commitments to increase efforts in pursuing solutions to the problem of contamination by heavy metals in bodies of water were established. Specifically, to coordinate actions aimed at systematic and continuous measurements of concentration levels of heavy metals in water bodies.
||2014: Argentina, Brasil, Costa Rica, Myanmar, Peru and Indonesia
||Government of Colombia. Other institutions by the participating countries confirmed.
Project Contact Point
Project Contact Point Table
||Maria Isabel Loaiza Cordero/Edgar Gonzalez
||Asian and Oceanian Affairs /Coordinator Cbionano - FEALAC
||Colciencias’ International Office
||57(1)6258480 ext. 5211